Charles H. Sutphen and John B. Dow settled in this area in 1834. Sutphen purchased 1,000 acres which would eventually include the town of Earl (later, Earlville). In 1839 he soldl off acreage to S.T. Stilson who developed a village in the area that we know as Sutphen’s Run on Ottawa St. north of Rt. 34. When the Railroad came through in 1853 the town was relocated to the area next to the tracks as we know today. Earlville became incorporated on May 16th, 1863, the date that is considered our birthday.